looking to start, need help!

New to Jiu Jitsu? Moving house? Leaving uni? Step in here and we'll help you locate a club near you and hopefully some info about it. Or maybe you're starting up a new club and want the whole world to know??

Moderator: Moderators

looking to start, need help!

Postby Daris » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:10 pm | #1

Hi,

I live in the Liverpool area and looking to start training soon. I am looking for a school/teacher. Can someone point me in the right direction, with a bit of detail regarding the style and teacher in the school??

Also, someone i know recommended Tony Bebbington and said he is respected in the jitsu circles. I have no idea about the Jitsu scene, does anyone here know him??

Unfortunately my job entails allot of traveling so i can only commit the weekend to training regularly.

Many thanks
Daris None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:21 am | #2

can't help at all I'm afraid.

However, when you have some basics under your belt, and if you become a regular here you'll find that you can often just pop into a club wherever you happen to be and most will welcome you for the odd session. Kind of like care in the community. Only its jitsu

Just post around a bit, chat, shoot the breeze. Formulate an opinion on traditional vs modern, mma vs everything else, katas, 'alive' training self defence, what a cult really is and chi and you'll be right at home. Whatever opinion you form on the above, by the way, will be wrong. somewhere. To someone...
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Clueless » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:46 am | #3

John Moores uni have a TJF jitsu club which is open to non-students: http://www.jmujitsu.com/

Liverpool Uni also have a ju jitsu club that do a lot more sparring but I'm not sure what style they are - don't think they're part of a big organisation. You could probably find them through the Uni.
'You're just a walking contamination event really' - My line manager...
'Evil Temptress' - Hirsty

Eternal :ltblue:
Clueless None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kempo-kid » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:23 am | #4

Liverpool, the WJJAI believe that would be a good place to start :D

KK :twisted:
kempo-kid None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Splinter » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:12 am | #5

The two largest styles represented on this forum are TJF and Aiuchi, if you cold find a local club to start at, the advantage is that wherever you are travelling around the UK you could drop into the local club, train, be welcome and have an instant social group rather than be stuck in an hotel room.

if you google Jitsu Foundation or Aicuhi you will get thier main websites.
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby OneDragons » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:21 am | #6

WJJF have thier headquaters in Liverpool, Fazakerly to be exact (link KK posted above). Depends where abouts you are, Liverpool is a pretty big area.
Last edited by OneDragons on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The many within One!

Greek Proverb "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
OneDragons None specified

Postby kempo-kid » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:02 pm | #7

kempo-kid None specified

Postby Daris » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:11 pm | #8

Thanks guys.. i'll pop around these places and have a look.

I am really glad to hear that people will welcome me for the odd session. this should give me the chance to try quite a few styles and get to meet a few people. i feel much better now  :)

I was thinking of going down the private lessons route, what do you think of that?

I found that tony Bebbington practices Oikiru Ryu Ju Jitsu. Does anyone know this style? ( all my info is from this page http://hometown.aol.co.uk/__121b_xeLRMu ... e8UiKqI/4E ).

As for the question of traditional vs modern, i know next to nothing to comment about it. I have had a look around the forums and on the Internet only. I think i should at least train in both to be able to tell the difference and have an informed opinion. I would love to have a go at both, but i understand that it is very difficult to find a traditional style like Daito Ryu for example. i will be happy to start somewhere for the time being and then see.

So many questions and very little answers in my head.. i have a long way to go....
Daris None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:41 pm | #9

I was thinking of going down the private lessons route, what do you think of that?

By and large, I'd not recommend it.  I think you'll get much more out of your sessions by being part of a larger group, regularly swopping partners, learning to adapt to other body styles, and so-on.

1:1 works for, say, people training fine technique for competitions and suchlike, but for most of us a bigger group is the better learning environment.

In any case, you are always technically 1:1 with your training partner of the session for most of the time.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:45 pm | #10

personally, I'm not sure that private jitsu lessons work. I think it is more of a collective thing. You need lots of bodies to get a feel of it (or them) and to go to the pub with afterwards.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Postby Squeaky » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:31 am | #11

When I did karate a few years back I used to have private sessions with 2 of my mates. It worked very well for us as it was all mostly learning katas and such and no sparring. We used to have a seminar once a month where everyone in the region (I think) got together for a big training session, but again it was msotly kata work. So for that, private sessions was great as we had one on one tuition which helped that style of martial arts well.

With regards Jitsu I would definately not recommend private sessions. For all the reasons people have stated before. You need to leanr to train with different body shapes and sizes and learnt to adapt your techniques for different people and situations. Always working with the same person will not help you prgoress well.

Also, Jitsu is a very social MA and post session pub is a must! :)
Visit my RedBubble gallery
Squeaky None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Little J » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:03 pm | #12

Hey Daris, I teach Jitsu (TJF) at Liverpool John Moores.
Info about the club can be found here -
JMU Jitsu Club

If you have any more questions etc then my e-mail is j_bhachu_20@hotmail.com

Jas Bhachu
Little J None specified

Return to Yellow Pages

Signup