Have no MA experience but want to learn, Help plz (swindon)

New to Jiu Jitsu? Moving house? Leaving uni? Step in here and we'll help you locate a club near you and hopefully some info about it. Or maybe you're starting up a new club and want the whole world to know??

Moderator: Moderators

Postby dark_recess » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:50 pm | #31

well thats significantly more contact than i thought there was in tai chi!
[is this Common among tai chi schools?]

i wouldnt cope with grappling, i know that.

when you get hit hard with a bokken, it tends to hurt, but its not a common occurence, as far as length goes if its a 'combat session' it'll be just shy of 2 hours doing combat almost the whole time.

so another question- do you know of any good tai chi schools in cardiff?
including any that run during the evening or day...
'And i remember that like all these blossoms... we are dieing'
dark_recess None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cullion » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:57 pm | #32

dark_recess wrote:well thats significantly more contact than i thought there was in tai chi!
[is this Common among tai chi schools?]

Not common, but getting more widespread.

when you get hit hard with a bokken, it tends to hurt, but its not a common occurence, as far as length goes if its a 'combat session' it'll be just shy of 2 hours doing combat almost the whole time.

The intensity of our sparring is such that people in a physical state ready for full contact competition are usually quite exhausted after 5-6 2 minute rounds with a minute of rest between them.

so another question- do you know of any good tai chi schools in cardiff?
including any that run during the evening or day...

I don't know of any I'm afraid.
"Captaintau is the most handsome, most charming, funniest and most talented Martial Artist I've ever had the pleasure of encountering on this forum".
cullion None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Splinter » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:09 pm | #33

back to the original topic.

Youve decided you wanna try martial arts and think maybe Jiu Jitsu (since your asking PJ people).  but from what you write you have little or no experience of fighting.

IF you can find classes which suit yourt times (to be honest it will be tough) then go along watch (or try) a class.
does it look fun, are people enjoying it or enduring it.
you dont have the knowledge to know if its a valid system so leave that for now.  
try it out, compare costs to otheres (even if you cant attend the others).
if you think you will enjoy it then try it.
nothing ventured nothing gained.

You should also check out details like what insurance cover there is, and whether its a one man band or an association. understand what your getting into.

I had a friendthought she was studying shotokan karate, was about to take her black belt when the instructor moved away,  she sought another shotokan class to discover 1 - her old instructor was a one man band, 2 -  her grade wasnt valid in the UK association , 3 - what she learned wasnt as good, compared to the new class anyway.
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby daemon1610 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:27 pm | #34

My (endless) martial arts search has so far given me 2 (and a half) positive leads (and alot of good advice) :

1: A Matt Fiddes Tae Kwon Doe class on a Sunday (with makeable times) about £25 a month

2: A Karate class (Wado-Ryu  -  anyone know this style???) which i could make two classes a week at £3.50 a session

And a half: Lone Tree Ju-Jitsu (who haven't responded to my calls or emails and therefore i do not know times or prices)

- I'm going to watch one of the karate sessions Tuesday night :o:

thanks again guys, will keep you posted

daemon
daemon1610 None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:31 pm | #35

daemon1610 wrote:2: A Karate class (Wado-Ryu  -  anyone know this style???)

I think that this is the most popular style of Karate in Britain. Maybe second to Shotokan.

Founded in 1932, it combined Shotokan Karate with Shindo Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu to make a Karate style with the "pliancy" of Jujitsu.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:09 pm | #36

The wado sounds like a much better deal than the tkd. Wado ryu karate schools are common here in the south and I think have a sw presence as well. Unlike the sw I don't think there is a shotokan following here at all.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby daemon1610 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:16 pm | #37

Sounds promising, as i said, i'll go along to watch tomorrow and let you know, here's the website

http://www.swindonkarate.org.uk/
daemon1610 None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby higashi_swindon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:10 pm | #38

Hi  daemon1610,

This is my first time on this forum, but I got a notification from google that our web-site had been mentioned here (I 'm the Swindon Higashi web-site designer) so I thought I'd have a look!

I'm not sure if you made it to our session last night (there were a few people watching, but I don't recall if there was anyone matching your profile).

If you have any questions about the club or style then please feel free to ask.

The club has been running since the mid-seventies and is not profit making - we're just happy to make enough money to cover the hire of the hall.

I've personally been training with them on and off for around 28 years. Since I see that this is a Jiu-Jitsu board, I should also mention that I also used to do a bit of Jikisin Jiu-Jitsu in Swindon quite a number of years ago (only did a couple of gradings though)!

You can also see the Higashi Association web site at:

http://www.higashi.org.uk/
higashi_swindon None specified

Postby Splinter » Thu May 01, 2008 1:21 pm | #39

higashi_swindon wrote:
You can also see the Higashi Association web site at:
http://www.higashi.org.uk/

Nice site.
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Goober » Thu May 01, 2008 3:18 pm | #40

higashi_swindon wrote:Hi  daemon1610,

This is my first time on this forum, but I got a notification from google that our web-site had been mentioned here (I 'm the Swindon Higashi web-site designer) so I thought I'd have a look!

Now you've found the joy that is [PJ] I hope you hang around to chat, don't let the fact this is a ju-jitsu forum put you off, opinions are always welcome no matter who they come from.
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
Goober None specified

Previous

Return to Yellow Pages

Signup