Kids 'games' for JuJitsu - ideas welcome :)

A place to discuss the benefits and issues that arise from teaching our youth Jiu-Jitsu, and to share ideas and experiences with fellow instructors.

Moderator: Moderators

Kids 'games' for JuJitsu - ideas welcome :)

Postby nry » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:18 pm | #1

Beyond running around like nutters to tire them out, I like tucking a small length of belt in the belt of the kids and pretty much playing tag rubgy, last one with the section of belt left wins.

Same as above but back-to-back is good, and last week I tried a Gracie game called Crazy Horse which the kids really loved - I will do this more now as it has many levels of difficulty :)

Can anyone else suggest any games which have relevant JuJitsu learning within them, but are still seen as games by the kids?
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Kids 'games' for JuJitsu - ideas welcome :)

Postby captaintau » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:45 pm | #2

I think we had a thread on this. I'll add things off the top of my head, but search aswell.
- Dodgeball
- Running around the mat, but then changing to other motions such as shrimping, monkey walking, crab walking
- First do bulldogs....
- Then Jujitsu turtle bulldogs: all students except one are in the Judo turtle position. The one has to turn someone onto their back. They may then double-team (or choose not to.) Each person turned over joins their team. The last students(s) I find are rugby players (draw your own conclusions!) They take teamwork on the part of everyone to turn them! The teamwork is often ineffective as children will work against each other. This is a lesson in itself.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:53 pm | #3

Turtle game is good, I like that! We do the running one already :)
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:31 am | #4

Turtle bulldogs was great, worked really well, and left some areas to teach/develop too :)
nry Male

Postby Lady Shizuka » Sun May 18, 2014 12:07 am | #5

Here's the old thread:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=16858
:canada:
When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it? -  Eleanor Roosevelt
Lady Shizuka Female
Admin

Return to Children in Jiu Jitsu

Signup