Weekend session

Somewhere for welsh jitsuka to chat and plan events

Weekend session

Postby Robw » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:14 pm | #1

Right Ladies and Gents,

I have in mind running a one off extra session in the near future.

My plan is to have it on a Saturday or a Sunday and for it to be an all day event, to be held either at Sophia Gardens or somewhere similar.

I want to take some time to focus on some core skills such as falling, multiple attackers, weapons and of course Nage No Kata.

I'm hoping to ask some guest inspectors from my past - Dave Manwaring, Ady Tredwell, Becky, and at least one other.

Basically I'm after some feedback, in particular

1) Is it a good idea and would you come?

2) Would you be prepared to pay up to £5 for it?

3) Is there anything you'd like to be covered?

4) Is there anyone you'd like me to invite to attend or teach?

Once I've got an idea of the interest from within the club and talked to some of the proposed teachers i'll be in a position to invite other people from Swansea and outside of the region.
Hwyl

Rob W

"Put it this way, there's no such thing as a good tumour but if there was, yours wouldn't be it" - Sensitive face of NHS
Robw None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby fat_tony » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:11 pm | #2

Hell Yes, I for one think it's a brilliant idea. the weekend is also good as there less of a chance of it clashing with other work things. as for the quetstions

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Wouldn't mind sharps :twisted: We'll i've never had to face a sharp in a grading or otherwise so am a little aprehensive that the first time i'll encounter a sharp will be in a grading!(obviously whether shaprs can be brought on depend on what grades turn up! But i think definitely weapons, multiple attackers(with and without weapons and not neesserily jsut 2 man) and NNK should be covered. maybe for more fun and diversity some kind of Bo/Jo staff techniques or bokken work?

4) For events like these i think the more the merrier philosophy applies, ovbiously it depends on the size of the location and how many instructors come. if there are space availibe after ours and swansea then i know quite a few people from the west country that would possible be interested in attending.

But big or small it's def something i'd go to
You are an engineer if: you're next in line on death row in a french prison when you find the guillotine isn't working, you offer to fix it.
fat_tony None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Robw » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:44 pm | #3

Cool - thanks for the feedback - just as an aside, how many of the club are aware of this site ? and in particular of this forum ? We need to spread the word.

As to sharps, there are some insurance issues that I'd have to look into, but either way I can guarantee some weapons work that will scare the **** out of you.

Regarding Bokken or Bo, that may depend on who'se available to teach it. I'm sure we can accomodate though.
Hwyl

Rob W

"Put it this way, there's no such thing as a good tumour but if there was, yours wouldn't be it" - Sensitive face of NHS
Robw None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby fat_tony » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:13 pm | #4

Robw wrote:I can guarantee some weapons work that will scare the **** out of you.

can't wait! :o:

i think the people who post most frequently have already posted in the uwic forum, me, si, gereint, the two novices from ponty have posted(andrew and the other guy i can't think of his name), nick has posted once or twice but not recently. i think that's about it. could mention it a the session tonight
You are an engineer if: you're next in line on death row in a french prison when you find the guillotine isn't working, you offer to fix it.
fat_tony None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Dark_Vamp » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:39 pm | #5

I'd be interested,

When The UWIC section was created I sent out about 5 pm's to let people know. I only pm'd people that I knew went to UWIC. :)
Tony was once shot in the neck, rushed to the hospital, underwent emergency surgery and was back on the job in just a few hours. Jack Bauer still can't believe that p**sy went to the hospital first.
Dark_Vamp None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Robw » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:49 pm | #6

Yeah if someone could pass out the details tonight that would be helpful, there's no real point to this forum unless the majority of the club are at least aware of it and checking it regularly.

Oh and I'll be back on the mat from next week. And I have PLANS!!!!
Hwyl

Rob W

Robw None specified

Postby fat_tony » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:01 pm | #7

Robw wrote:Oh and I'll be back on the mat from next week. And I have PLANS!!!!

I don't know whether to be scared or excited!! :thinking:

i plan on going training tonight, but i have a funny feeling my sister might need picking up from work, if i'm not there though can you mention soemthing dark_vamp?
fat_tony None specified

Postby pinky_si » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:04 pm | #8

As always Rob,  if ya need a lift, gimme a ring

I'd also be up for a weekend session and I think a saturday would be good because we'd get more down from swansea than if we had the session "overlapping" their sunday session.

Falling would definitely be good (as our session with Dave M showed), and I could definitely stand to do some multiple armed attackers stuff.

See ya tonight or next week

Laters
<insert_witty_.sig_file_here>
pinky_si None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Dark_Vamp » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:52 pm | #9

Ok Tony I will let peeps know after the training.
Tony was once shot in the neck, rushed to the hospital, underwent emergency surgery and was back on the job in just a few hours. Jack Bauer still can't believe that p**sy went to the hospital first.
Dark_Vamp None specified

Postby Squeaky » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:59 pm | #10

Hello!

Sorry to crash your forum - hope you don't mind! :D

I know that there would definately be interest from Swansea if you are planning on running a course. Especially for those of us going for brown in the summer - stuff with weapons, multiple attackers etc would def be good.

As you said, a Saturday would definately be best as we train on a Sunday (as you know).

When were you thinking of holding it? Would it be in the near future (as in next couple of weeks) or in a while? An idea of dates would be great! :D

Cheers!
Squeaky None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Splinter » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:11 am | #11

Um I could be wrong but if you let Swansea come you could be in danger of holding a South Wales "Regional Course".  :nana: bout flippin time  :P
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Postby fat_tony » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am | #12

i suppose you could call it a south wales regional course! :lol:
fat_tony None specified

Postby Splinter » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:44 pm | #13

well seeing as each region is SUPPOSED to have a regional every term and I dont know if wales has ever had one........ you just occasionally gate crash our  :D
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Postby Nicko » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:49 pm | #14

Splinter wrote:well seeing as each region is SUPPOSED to have a regional every term and I dont know if wales has ever had one........ you just occasionally gate crash our  :D

As there are only two clubs in Wales, any visit from an outside instructor tends to be seen as a regional  :) The year Swansea has had two regionals, with visits from Ady and one of the Mortimers, hopefully Johno will be coming down for the coming term's regional.
"The subterfuge you recommend to me is characteristic of brigands and thieves…My decision is to attack in broad daylight. I prefer to live to regret my bad luck than to be ashamed of my victory."
Nicko None specified

Postby Splinter » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:54 pm | #15

Nah you see you dont know the whole system.

Officailly each club should get two club visits from a 2dan or above every year.  you should get a senior primary visit every term AND  regional course every term.

You cant count club visits as a regional course.
(Also the charging system from the office is different for a regional as compared to a club visist)

also the cost per head for a club visit should be £5 or £6, but a regional course (which should be 4 or 5 hours) should cost £10
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Next

Return to Welsh Jitsu

Signup