UWIC RIP

Somewhere for welsh jitsuka to chat and plan events

UWIC RIP

Postby Robw » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:27 pm | #1

UWIC JITSU CLUB RIP

To all current, former or potential students please be aware that Simon, Geraint and I have just come from a meeting with a 'person' from UWIC Athletics Union to be informed that as our number of club members who are Students at UWIC is too low we have now lost our status as an AU club.

No doubt over the next few days the Instructors and other parties will get together and we'll come up with some options of how to keep TJF Jitsu alive in Cardiff.

My thanks to everyone who has participated in making UWIC Jitsu the best Jitsu Club I ever taught or trained in for the last 10 years.
Hwyl

Rob W

"Put it this way, there's no such thing as a good tumour but if there was, yours wouldn't be it" - Sensitive face of NHS
Robw None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby fat_tony » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:36 pm | #2

:cry: that's gay as it's their fault that there's not UWIC students! :flame:

i suggest finding the members of the AU and well...... :soldier:

You have my number, anything i can do just let me know

What's happening with all the mats/weapons/first aid stuff?
You are an engineer if: you're next in line on death row in a french prison when you find the guillotine isn't working, you offer to fix it.
fat_tony None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:09 pm | #3

surely a stay of execution until freshers in sept is reasonable? As for equipment, its a bugger the way that ALWAYS goes walkies. If it ain't nailed down...and if it is, cool! Second hand nails!
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby pinky_si » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:10 pm | #4

The mats technically belong to the AU, so not much we can do about them for the moment (although we did at least get a concession to be able to buy them off of UWIC if we want to)

Anything that wasn't nailed down (weapons, first aid kit, focus mits/kick shield etc) now lives at my house until we find a solution.  :twisted:
<insert_witty_.sig_file_here>
pinky_si None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Splinter » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:17 am | #5

I have to say I agree with FTHL surely they cold have decreed  a target minimum sign up at freshers - make that and youra a club, miss and your out.   did you not have warning - stupid question...Im sure you did.

Sad day.  oh well at least you have all those visits to community centres and school halls to look forwards to as you try to find a new venue.

BTW what was your membership number when they closed you. ?
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby pinky_si » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:37 am | #6

between 12 & 20 people regularly.

of those, only 3 were UWIC students, and two of those were irregular attenders...  :? (the other one is a very regular attender, but his course finished this year, so he no longer counts for numbers either :( )

even more frustratingly, the AU doesn't want to recognise UWIC alumni (which included a further 4 or 5 of the members) as valid members, so their policy would seem to be "come to uni, do jitsu while you're here then F**K off"

b@stards!
pinky_si None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ronin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:20 am | #7

on the up side the reality is all you need is a venue, you already have a club.  find a dojo and with 12-20 training, you shouldn't need to worry about dojo hire.  also i am sure tjf would have some sort of financial contigency to lend/give money to a developing club so it can continue.  I know we do in Aiuchi[/code]
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Ronin None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Dark_Vamp » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:26 am | #8

:cry: That is soooo tw*tish. I hope their genitals fall off :)

Got my fingers crossed that we can get another venue, I'm missing jitsu already!
Tony was once shot in the neck, rushed to the hospital, underwent emergency surgery and was back on the job in just a few hours. Jack Bauer still can't believe that p**sy went to the hospital first.
Dark_Vamp None specified

Postby kempo-kid » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:38 am | #9

If you can get the mats off the AU do so, as it will give you so much more freedom in the location you choose.  For a quick cheap dojo, try the local scout huts ect.  They always welcome revinue and also another activiy that their members can join in on as well

KK :twisted:
kempo-kid None specified

Postby SpliffCartel » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:00 pm | #10

This is gutting! :( I suppose they were bound to notice at some point. I just hope the club finds another venue!
SpliffCartel None specified

Postby Splinter » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:38 pm | #11

it worries me as this isnt that far off the position my club is in regarding membership - we do recognise alumni but actualy studnet numebsr are dire - hoping for big recruitment this Sept.
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Postby Nemesis » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:47 pm | #12

Why is it that uni sports unions always seem to go out of their way to make things hard for member clubs :evil: . I've really enjoyed training with the UWIC club during the summer.

Why don't you get together and press-gang enough freshers in September that they have to allow you to keep your status, although that is harsh if they aren't giving you until September to recruit more students.
Nemesis None specified

Postby ukronin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:56 pm | #13

Hmmm................so are they going to let you go to Freshers?

How many members are required to form an AU club?

Just because they are closing UWIC, it doesn't mean UWIC 2006 can't begin.

What are the criteria for societies, do thay have a self defence society.

More than one way to skin a cat............anybody need a pair of slippers? :D
Don't let your life pass you by, STOP, enjoy life, love and friendship.

Proud member of the British Kempo Society.

Club Instructor Northampton Jitsu Club, England
www.northamptonjitsuclub.co.uk
ukronin None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby pinky_si » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:15 am | #14

"Space is limited, only AU clubs with a budget can attend Freshers"

we have been told we can petition the SU General Manager (not the president, as he seems to have no real influence, but the suit behind him) to see if we are allowed to attend the Fresher's fayre.

I'm personally of the opinion that we should tell UWIC to stick it up their a$$es and grab the mats and run - as people have said, we have enough members for a town club (and enough instructors for 2 or 3), and historically have been better at retaining non-students.  The UWIC campus isn't ideall as it's overpopulated by tracksuited sport-students who get prefferential treatment from the AU, and who rarely, if ever, attend jitsu for longer than a term.  Our usual long-term students have been from other campus' or a handful of teaching students from the cyncoed campus.

It's sort of ironic that the uni never bothered us when we only had 4 people (only one of whom was a student) training (including sensei wallis) for a couple of years, but now that we have a thriving club again, have decided to descend upon us.

However, the final call will be with Sensei Wallis.  He set the club up 10 years ago, and it means a lot to him.  Us instructors will be meeting next week sometime to make plans, and we'll let you know what we come up with.

Edit: in reply to above questions, 10 students regularly (not just signed up) do a club make, and yes they do have a short "self defence class" which is run in our old dojo, at our old ideal training time by a paid external person.  however this class is run by the facilities management people of the uni, and not the AU.  We have offered to run it for free (ie more profit for the uni and a way to funnel those self defence chicks into proper jitsu at the end of the short course) in the past and were turned down.  If you're not a ball sport (or a track and fielder) at uwic, then they don't give a rats ar$e
pinky_si None specified

Postby Robw » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:06 pm | #15

I've given it some thought and my current preferred option is somewhat ambitious but I think holds merit.

1) Find a location where we can start a town club, I'd like to do it at Sophia Gardens but I need to look into cost and availability

2) The town club to actually be two clubs, adult and childrens

3) For one term book a space at UWIC, if at the end of term one we have circa 20 regularly attending UWIC students then we encourage them to petition the Student Union.

4) Open a club at Newport University

5) Eventually expand through all the towns and cities of Wales, then the rest of the UK and then the World... hah hah hah

Obviously this depends on a lot of things and I think we'll have a clearer idea once we've had a proper meeting.
Hwyl

Rob W

"Put it this way, there's no such thing as a good tumour but if there was, yours wouldn't be it" - Sensitive face of NHS
Robw None specified

Next

Return to Welsh Jitsu

Signup