UWIC RIP

Somewhere for welsh jitsuka to chat and plan events

Postby fat_tony » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:27 pm | #16

What ever we end up doing we have enough instructors and senior grades to carry on with jitsu in south wales.

UWIC have stiffled the growth of our club with their inflexability, and yet we've still managed it to a certain extent, we should be able to succeed in growing a lot with a town club
You are an engineer if: you're next in line on death row in a french prison when you find the guillotine isn't working, you offer to fix it.
fat_tony None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Dark_Vamp » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:12 pm | #17

A club at Newport uni also sounds really cool :)
Tony was once shot in the neck, rushed to the hospital, underwent emergency surgery and was back on the job in just a few hours. Jack Bauer still can't believe that p**sy went to the hospital first.
Dark_Vamp None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Kid Dangerous » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:45 pm | #18

aww man this sucks!  :(

A club at Sophia Gardens would be good, i know they already have a judo club there.

I miss jitsu  :cry:
Kid Dangerous None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Nemesis » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:52 pm | #19

Just be careful with Sophia Gardens as they can also be a bit troublesome as proved by their performance for the Welsh Nationals.

My step-mum went to their Taekwondo club and says that kind of thing is not atypical as they had trained there for years, someone forgot about a re-booking form and no-one thought to ask them whether it was a mistake, so their normal hall was hired out to someone else.
Nemesis None specified

Postby SirVolkar » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:56 pm | #20

I propose we name our new incarnation FUWIC.

Guess what the additional letter stands for?
"Cars bounce off me!"
SirVolkar None specified

Postby Cyclone » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:32 pm | #21

This probably won't help, but we had a similar situation the year before last, all down to the incompetence of the AU who kept emailing a non functioning address to ask for club numbers.

Anyway, we managed to agree that we'd go for a year with no funding, managed to get a space at the sports fair, and religously sent them information about attendance, nationals (busa now), competitions, gradings, etc...

At the end of the year they were more than happy to reaffirm our status and gave us a capital grant to buy more mats.

See if they'll negotiate at all, make some concessions, but get a space at the fair and get the numbers up again.
Didn't make sense?  Go back and read it again
[hr]
Facebook - PJ Group
Flickr - My Photos
Cyclone None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Splinter » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:11 am | #22

RobW  I think your targets 1-4 are good and achievable, think 5 is pushing it a bit.

I also like Cycs idea offering to run for a year budget free to prove yourselves.  I will try and email you the stuff I use to convinve my uni to let me run a self defence class - all monies to go to the RAG charity for that year.
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ukronin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:21 am | #23

:D ROBW Glad to see your power hungry maniacal phase is back on track Napoleon.

The reason I was asking about societies is my experience with SU & AU and how the different criteria can be and how a different set of rules can aid or hinder.

Did you learn nothing from my smoozing of sports administrators and exec? (DONOT FEEL THE NEED TO RECOUNT ANY STORIES)

Whatever happens, donot close, I have regetted every closed club.
Don't let your life pass you by, STOP, enjoy life, love and friendship.

Proud member of the British Kempo Society.

Club Instructor Northampton Jitsu Club, England
www.northamptonjitsuclub.co.uk
ukronin None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Robw » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:18 am | #24

Many thanks for all the input folks.

As far as I can tell at UWIC there are no 'societies' as such it's just the AU and that's run by one person who's employed by UWIC. There is very very little student input.

Regarding running it for outside of the AU, we have a couple of issues that we need to resolve. Firstly I think it's unlikely that we'll get different times to the ones we've 'enjoyed' for the last couple of years and 8.30 to 10 isn't great for students.

Secondly we'll have to pay for the booking and I'm not convinced that we'll get the student numbers to cover the costs, but the biggest issue is that we've always struggled to get a decent sized regular attendence at this location due to the small numbers of students there and the courses that are held. I'm very reluctant to close the club as I started it from scratch and it's produced some really good Jitsuka  but also I don't want to spend a lot of time and money flogging a dead horse. As I said before, one term should clarify this situation.

This is of course assuming we're even allowed to sign people up at Freshers fayre.

To be fair to UWIC though, at last count none of our regular students were UWIC students and if I was running the AU I'd have wanted to do something about that. I do feel that some sort of warning should have happened first though.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens.
Hwyl

Rob W

"Put it this way, there's no such thing as a good tumour but if there was, yours wouldn't be it" - Sensitive face of NHS
Robw None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby dark_recess » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:14 pm | #25

two things-

firstly im quite certain there are societys other than the au in uwic.
i almost signed up for the music one.
~
and secondly, the problem with moving to somewhere like newport is that only half our club drives and could get there : \
'And i remember that like all these blossoms... we are dieing'
dark_recess None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Splinter » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:36 pm | #26

dont think he meant move to enwport, thik that was part of the world domination thing
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Postby fat_tony » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:49 pm | #27

yeah, it's def a world domination thing :lol:

The newport idea is to be a club additional to the one in cardiff and not as a replacement
You are an engineer if: you're next in line on death row in a french prison when you find the guillotine isn't working, you offer to fix it.
fat_tony None specified

Postby DM » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:14 pm | #28

Evening all.

Just my 2 penneth.

Keep it open if at all poss - regular influx of fresh blood every year helps.

I think it is a lot harder to recruit and get new people in at town clubs (although obviously not impossible)

If it doesn't work out then at least any newcomers can be moved across to your 'alternative' town club...
DM None specified

Postby scruffy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:29 am | #29

ukronin wrote:Did you learn nothing from my smoozing of sports administrators and exec?

please tell!! i am intreged now

am sorry to hear about all the sh!te thats going on with the AU! :(
just invite the b@stards down to a 'special' session ;)
living in the garden of savage for all eternity

eternal TJF :green:
Psalm 30:5 - 'weeping may last the night, but joy will come by morning'
scruffy Female

Postby Robw » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:25 pm | #30

My lips are sealed by a potent combination of loyalty and fear...

All I will say is that UK_Ronin knows a lot about the dark side of Jitsu. :|
Hwyl

Rob W

"Put it this way, there's no such thing as a good tumour but if there was, yours wouldn't be it" - Sensitive face of NHS
Robw None specified

Previous

Return to Welsh Jitsu

Signup