Geraint Rees Charity Walk

Somewhere for welsh jitsuka to chat and plan events

Geraint Rees Charity Walk

Postby Kid Dangerous » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:41 pm | #1

OK, as most of you at the club know, Geraint (PJ user: dark_recess) has recently been diagnosed with lymphoma (a form of cancer) and is undergoing treatment at the University of Wales Hospital in Heath, Cardiff.

He is keeping in good spirits and all are confident of a swift recovery, although he is understandably upset at not being able to attend training  :?

Anyways, myself and other members of staff at Blacks (where Geraint also works) have decided to organize a charity walk in Geraint's honor. He is an avid fan of the outdoors and in fact was in the middle of ascending Pen Y Fan (highest mountain in South Wales for the city folk) when he was rushed home by his father and taken to hospital.

The walk will be 110 miles in total from Blacks, opposite Cardiff Castle to Brecon and back in 3 days ( ! ). All money made from the walk will go directly to Cancer Research UK. Geraint is happy that the walk be performed in his honour and is determined to be well enough to watch us set off from the Castle. The walk will be from 10th-12th March (so unfortunately i will be missing the Judo nationals in Birmingham but hey, its for a good cause).

I know all of you lovely boys and girls will give generously to the charity and wish Geraint a rapid recovery. To donate either pop into Blacks, Millets, Freespirit or Kudos stores in Cardiff (if possible) or head on over to

http://www.justgiving.com/blackscardiff

to donate electronically. Doing it through the website also allows justgiving.com to claim back UK tax and adds a further 28% to any donations made!

If anybody would like any extra information, or if any club members wish to pay Geraint a visit drop me a line at duirlith@hotmail.com and i'll provide you with the necessary details.

Thanks for reading this and get well soon G!
Dan
Kid Dangerous None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Big_Red_Tractor » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:29 pm | #2

Hi
I used to work with Geraint in Wellington Hospital NZ, he only trained a couple of times at my club though. Could you please give him my regards and PM me any contact details for him.
Thanks
Simon
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Big_Red_Tractor None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby rose_red » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:14 am | #3

I would have love to do the walk with you but Ive already said Id go to the nationals (and I'm really exited about it having missed the last one)...but you'll defiantly be getting a donation from me.

Where is Blacks in Cardiff?

If I cant find it I can do it on line but I might be in the area...in fact I might be visiting your club.
A true friend stabs you in the front.
rose_red None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Squeaky » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:10 pm | #4

I was really sorry to hear the news about Geraint. Here's hoping he makes a swift and full recovery. (Although I must admit that I did not realise that he was dark_recess!)

I will be donating electronically as I won't get a chance to make a trip to Cardiff. Good luck for the walk and I hope you raise lots of money! :)
Visit my RedBubble gallery
Squeaky None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Robw » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:23 am | #5

Just to update everyone.

I saw Geraint this weekend.

He's obviously very ill but he's in good spirits and I passed on everyones good wishes.
Hwyl

Rob W

"Put it this way, there's no such thing as a good tumour but if there was, yours wouldn't be it" - Sensitive face of NHS
Robw None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Kermit » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:40 pm | #6

Robw wrote:Just to update everyone.

I saw Geraint this weekend.

He's obviously very ill but he's in good spirits and I passed on everyones good wishes.

You want to ask Gareth about doing a collection at the nationals, or asking Gareth to send the above post to all instructors/clubs. I've passed it onto mine
If you can tell a wise man by the colour of his skin, then mister you're a better man than I.
S. Tyler
Aerosmith

Practice makes permanent
Kermit None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Welsh Jitsu

Signup