Phase 2 - Nage No Kata

Somewhere for welsh jitsuka to chat and plan events

Postby Splinter » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:23 pm | #16

Ikantski !

Ive been doing TJF for +20 years now, (started ariound the same s=time as sensei dobie) and I would say that from working with the current NNK programme weve been using in the UK over the last 2 or 3 years that Ive had some real leaps in understanding of throw mechanics.

I dont know if wha we are using has made it across to Canada yet, but its hugely different t the rubbish that Andy and I were originally taught.
I think it does build those neural pathways for throws but also moves your understanding of kuzushi, footwork etc no matter what level you already at.

I have to say Im shocked that anyone who has access to Andu Dobie would feel that the wristlocks, dangerous parts, and standing armlocks we use are ONLY effective against drunks or weaker opponents, Im barely 11 stone and 5'8" so Im short and small.  Ive used wrist lcoks and armlocks against larger sober people while working doors and the right DP will work if done properly regardless of opponents size.
(ok true headlocks and leglocks are specific apllications but I would still question they wouldnt work aganst sober larger people - they just arent practical in a street fight - same with arm locks some Id use some I wouldnt).

Id also say that in the UK we ARE focussing on a LOT more ground fighting and I dont think its affecting numbers at all.
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Splinter » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:24 pm | #17

Ikantski !

Ive been doing TJF for +20 years now, (started ariound the same s=time as sensei dobie) and I would say that from working with the current NNK programme weve been using in the UK over the last 2 or 3 years that Ive had some real leaps in understanding of throw mechanics.

I dont know if wha we are using has made it across to Canada yet, but its hugely different t the rubbish that Andy and I were originally taught.
I think it does build those neural pathways for throws but also moves your understanding of kuzushi, footwork etc no matter what level you already at.

I have to say Im shocked that anyone who has access to Andu Dobie would feel that the wristlocks, dangerous parts, and standing armlocks we use are ONLY effective against drunks or weaker opponents, Im barely 11 stone and 5'8" so Im short and small.  Ive used wrist lcoks and armlocks against larger sober people while working doors and the right DP will work if done properly regardless of opponents size.
(ok true headlocks and leglocks are specific apllications but I would still question they wouldnt work aganst sober larger people - they just arent practical in a street fight - same with arm locks some Id use some I wouldnt).

Id also say that in the UK we ARE focussing on a LOT more ground fighting and I dont think its affecting numbers at all.

maybe LANCONLISTER or UKronin could comment on the effectiveness of thier techniques against alive / resisting opponents ?
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ikantski » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:12 pm | #18

Right, sorry about that.  I apologize making sweeping statements about how the hundreds of other clubs in the UK train.  

I know the mechanics of wristlocks, standing armlocks and DPs are effective and have done them and had them done to me quite a few times.

My only point was that I personally would only have confidence in those techniques against weaker/drunk people because I had only experienced them in a compliant/semi-compliant environment because they're too dangerous to train at full speed.

Thanks for you insight into NNK, I'll stop derailing this thread now.
Ikantski None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Previous

Return to Welsh Jitsu

Signup